Ashford & Food Colour Dyeing

The 26th of January is Australia Day, and so in celebration…after an early morning run and jump off the wharf…I decided to have a go at using some of the Ashford powder dyes and food colourings.

image

I ended up dyeing two different colours…a pink variegated colour which was grey English liester/merino cross, kettle dyed with pink food coloring and a sprinkling of blue and red Ashford powder.
image
And a blue/purple/pink colour which is white English liester/merino cross dyed with just the red and blue Ashford powders.
image
It was very easy to do.

It was as simple as: wash the fleece, soak the fleece in vinegar and water, fill pot with warm/hot water and vinegar (just covering wool), place wool in pot, sprinkle in dye for variegated effect or pour in premixed for more even colour, simmer for 30-40 minutes, remove from heat and let the water cool naturally, after a couple of hours remove wool, rinse and dry.

I have plans to make some really fun batts using this wool on my drum carder tomorrow…I’m even thinking up fancy names for them ๐Ÿ™‚ For the pink I’m thinking of adding some mohair and calling it “fairy princess” ๐Ÿ™‚ Now I just need to buy some of that Angelina stuff.

I also have plans to try some more natural dyeing as well. I have a pot of something (I couldn’t identify the bush) in the backyard waiting to be boiled up tomorrow and possibly some plum skins too.

Have a good night.

Blackberry & Mulberry Dyeing – Part 2

It’s been a busy holiday season and one and a half months since my last post.

I finished spinning the kettle dyed wool from my last post about a month ago, but never got around to taking pictures.
So here they are…the results…
Keep in mind this will was originally a light grey colour…so colours may vary on white wool (which I think I’ll try next time).

image

The mulberry dyed with an alum mordant.

image

Now unfortunately I got the two blackberry wools a little mixed up, but I’m fairly sure this is the blackberry mordanted with alum.

image

And this is the blackberry mordanted with cream of tartar.

image

I think I might have to experiment with blackberry and mulberry dyeing again but try more mordants and not get them mixed up again.

All three skeins of wool were left in indirect sunlight for about one and a half months…accidently… so I can’t give much detail on color fastness unfortunately…

With the holidays over I will probably get back into dyeing and spinning a bit more, so stay tuned for more (hopefully) regular posts.

๐Ÿ™‚ xxx